Monday, September 14, 2009

class prophecy of 2006

CLASS PROPHECY

BATCH 2006

To see a world in a grain of sand, And heaven in a wild flower,

To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

One particularly chilly morning, I came to with a strange buzzing in my head. Struggling through the mist of oblivion, I groggily looked for the source of the annoying sound and almost jumped out of my boxer shorts when an electrostatically muffled voice chirped:

“Good morning Paul, this is your wake up call… May I remind you of your schedule. Today is February 17, 2026….

Ø 7:00 am-Breakfast meeting with Dr. Arianne Nagrampa and Dr. Freddie Morandarte at the ShangRi La.. bring your advance wedding present.

Ø 9:00 am- Lecture on Genetic Engineering at the University of the Philippines. Call Prof. Elcid Iyana and Prof Angeli Lanuza for updates in biosensors.

Ø 10:30 am – teleconference with Harvard Professors Marian Justine Yorobe, Prof. Michael Angelo Mallari and Prof. Ino Trinidad. Inquire about the status of their nobel prize winning (Genetically modified camote) GMO. Can it really resolve world hunger?

Ø 12:00 am- lunch with Fr. Angelo Baluyot and Sister Nikki Bearis. Hey, don’t forget your checkbook with your P100 000 donation.

Also – check your e-mail … more updates coming later.

The machine droned to a stop but I kept on staring at the offending gadget, unsure if it has broken down or I have just gone nuts! But wait! Since when did I acquire such a sophisticated gadget? That was when I took stock of my surroundings and I almost had a cardiac arrest….

I am in my room which is not quite my room! Strangely though, I felt as if I really belonged there. I’M SURE IT WAS MY ROOM because there was still my favorite autographed poster of Allen Iverson hanging on the wall beside the door.

Moving like an automaton, I explored my surroundings and saw more complex devices on every corner. My feet led me to the en suite bathroom and literally jumped when I caught my reflection on the mirror. I was staring at a taller version of my father! Getting more puzzled I went back to my room and saw another familiar thing: OUR FRAMED FAMILY SNAPSHOT ON THE NIGHTSTAND . ..but what a nightstand! It was a gleaming silver coated nightstand with a keypad!

Completely overwhelmed, I tentatively pushed a green button and whoa! the blank wall opposite my bed slid open to reveal a giant tv screen.

I was beginning to think that my eyes were playing tricks on me … are those actually Lisabel Fordan and Kevin Bregala on the screen? My suspicion was confirmed when the lady anchor spoke:

“Good morning Philippines, This is Lisa Fordan, once again, Kevin and I will be with you for an hour of news updates. Our headlines:

Ø Intercontinental business tycoon Marvin Añes and Miss Universe 2010 Clarice Trinidad announces their engagement

Ø Filipino Author JL Nazarrea wins the Pulitzer prize for his bestselling book about the life of the youngest trillionaire on earth: Dr. Mark Zain Serdan.

Ø International playboy and philantropist Zech Taburnal hailed Man of the Year by Asiaweek; his fiancée, Ms Zarah Prima also named Face of the Century by the same magazine

Ø Acclaimed Chemists Dr. Jimmy Morillo Jr, Dr. Kier Ian Saulon and Dr.Loraine Rada discovered the 150th element: Mosalonium.

Ø Mountaineers Christian Philip Fibre , Ed Ashley Regino and Benson Bagacina successfully reaches the peak of Mt. Everest.

Ø Medical breakthrough: Biologists Dr. Hanna Faye Bailon and Dr. Michael Francia patented their cure for AIDS

Ø Filipino photographer John Roger Celada, wins the Nobel Peace prize for his inspiring photography of International model Elaine Prades.

Will this confusion never end? The commercial breaks were equally merciless….

…Imagine Clarizza Delta cortez ,Alexis Faye Deniña and Leira Ensano flashing confidently their white teeth while campaigning that “close up “ smile?

…or Clarissa Ling and Melissa Oida in chorus: Smart, simply amazing!

…or stewardesses Shenina Marie Cariño, Lea Hannah Amparado and Mary Antoneth Marmol promoting the Philippine Airlines?

…or supermodels Editha asence, Jennifer Espares and Mariz Gatdula advertising a commercial shampoo.

…there’s more to be said about features on the top five modern Filipinas : Atty Rachelle Bachiller, Dr. Christer villoso, Lt. Vanessa Grace Bagacina, Architect Mary Antonette Caceres and Engr. Shirl Vergara who are all successful in their chosen fields.

And then flashed the entertainment news:

Ø Marylyn Ampongan named female artist of the year for her hit single On Different Grounds composed by JM Zorilla

Ø PBA: Reymon Monay of Purefoods named MVP

Ø Tickets are out for the Supermegastar for all seasons Denisa Serranilla’s concert, featuring internationally acclaimed singer John James Marmol.

Ø Winners of Metro Manila Film Festival 2026 proclaimed:

o Best Actor: Roland Yuste

o Best actress: Arabelle R. Abenoja from the movie: Prudence by

o Best director: Gladys Noblefranca

o Best cinematographer: Wilson Paul Rañosa

Kevin, continued: “ We have our field reporter on the line. He’s at the Batasan complex covering the president’s state of the nation address. Kasamang Floyd , come in!

Floyd Arroyo? A field reporter? I was still shaking my head in amazement when I stared incredulously at the screen as more familiar faces leaped out: Floyd’s report gradually registered:

“…. At the batasan complex….. with Senators Edlimark Buñe, Press Secretary Floravelle Sombrero, Education secretary Beverly Atian, MMDA chairman Jinky Delle Solomo, Congresswoman Kristy Mae Figuracion, Judge Joanna Jean Marmol and Ambassador Mae Ann Azur….”

…” We have just received confirmation that President Dwight Garvy Tan is on his way. Meanwhile, maximum security is ensured by the team of General Ruben Bearis III, with the assistance of the PNP chief Elizabeth de Guzman seated next to the new world boxing champion : Vilbert Nadal.”

Now, I’m almost sure that I’ve lost my mind! There was an incessant ringing in my ears…the grounds are shaking and there was a loud banging in my head… the banging grew louder and louder as the ringing sound receded. Something is pulling my leg…. I realized soon enough that it was a somebody literally pulling my leg… who tries to wake me up … from a dream…

Yes, it was all just one dream… but it provided me a glimpse of what the future may hold … we are not sure of what the future may bring… but our dreams could take us there… dreams provide us the rare chance…

To see a world in a grain of sand,

And heaven in a wild flower,

To hold infinity in the palm of your hand,

And eternity in an hour.


Delivered by Adrian Paul Filio

Valentines Ball 2006

all rights reserved:mgrj,020506

No comments:

Post a Comment